Saturday, November 8, 2008

One Man's History of Political Support Shown Through Buttons

Some people take photos, or make scrapbooks to record their history or story. International Representative Marcellus Barnes has collected more than 500 political buttons that tell for various his political support of politicians over the years.
He began collecting political pins and buttons in Chicago, IL at the early age of 22. While involved in the political campaign office of 8th Ward Congressman Ralph H. Metacalfe, he ended up working at Jimmy Carter’s campaign for president of the U.S.
“My first button was collected in 1972. It was a Jimmy Carter button and then after that was Congress Ralph H. Metacalfe,” said Barnes. Of his 500 buttons, his favorite is one for Ralph H. Metacalfe. “I was very close to him, that’s why it’s my favorite button,” said Barnes.
Barnes, however, soon moved beyond didn’t just collecting buttons of the politicians he supported; he began collecting them to see how many he could acquire. “I wanted to see how many buttons I could get and someday they’d be worth money if you trade them,” said Barnes.
Barnes got into politics at the age of fifteen while working with a family member. he said,” I started off in politics with my Auntie, who was a Precinct Captain who worked for the Alderman;" "I used to pass out papers for money. That's how I got interested in politics and I got into it myself."
One of his most significant buttons was for Harold Washington; Barnes obtained it while working in his campaign office when Washington was running for Mayor of Chicago. "This button is significant because Harold was the first black elected mayor in the city of Chicago, nobody thought he was going to win," said Barnes.
Harold Washington’s campaign button however isn't the only one Barnes has with some history behind it. Another button with a story is for Alderman Timothy C. Evans, who ran for Mayor Washington's post against Alderman Eugene Sawyer following Washington's death in November 1987. The election was significant because the city was divided between the two; both were long-standing Aldermen. "There were rallies and wars in the City Council and the city was divided between the two black Aldermen," said Barnes. "It was a tough time in Chicago because the black community was split." Barnes was right there in the middle of the action, as a for Alderman Evan supporter. “I was there with Tim Evans to get him elected,” said Barnes. We would go campaign for Evans, some wanted to argue, some wanted to fight, it was a bad time in Chicago politics. He came to my house to strategize, his bodyguards were sitting in the driveway.”
Alderman Evans didn’t win the campaign; instead Alderman Sawyer was elected to be Interim Mayor. "The same people that voted for Sawyer later voted for Richard Daley for the position and he’s been in office ever since,” said Barnes. The political buttons range from Harold Washington, to Mayor Richard Daley, to President Bill Clinton. As for his most recent acquisition it's a Barack Obama button, of course.

No comments: